Monday, May 17, 2010

Yesterday we had our last team meeting before we meet again in the Austin airport 3 short weeks away! I came away with a better shopping list and some questions answered. Like I was worried about getting really comfortable shoes for all the walking and standing we are going to do. Pretty much I was told an OLD pair of tennis shoes was the way to go. The dirt is red and they pretty much get ruined by the time you leave. We have to bring nice clothes for the grand opening. In general Ugandan people are proud of how they look. So they may only own one nice dress and that's what they wear most of the time. Men will come help us with our shelf building and will wear slacks and a button down shirt. So when we are working or playing with the kids, we American women need to wear at least capris and T-shirts are fine - no tank tops or shorts. We'll wear a dress for the grand opening and a church service.
We were told to bring new, crisp 50 and 100 dollar bills. We get a better exchange rate if we use cash and they only accept 50s and 100s because there has been a lot of counterfeiting in the past. I think 1 American dollar is worth like 2,000 Ugandan shillings. Like I said - an adventure ahead!

ANYWAY, here's the real news from my meeting. We probably won't be able to get onto the internet for about a week after we get there! So you probably won't see a post here until like June 13th! Also there is in the works a British Airways strike so our plans could get messed up. So...here's what I'd like you to do:

Please put our group in your thoughts and prayers! We'd like a safe journey, a successful building project, a wonderful opportunity to make new friends and have our lives and their lives touched.

Thanks!
More later...
Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment