Monday, April 19, 2010


SHOTS!!! Today was the day my daughter has been dreading most - shots! Luckily in the US kids get regular immunizations so she really only needed a couple. I, on the other hand, having not been immunized since I was a child had 7 to get! Now some of them are optional but I'm a cautious person and really don't feel like getting ill in a 3rd world country so I put on my brave face and got my shots. The good news is that if I want to travel like this in the near future I won't have to go through this again.
We also got lessons on how to keep the malaria carrying mosquitoes away. Sorry, Skin So Soft won't do it! You really have to get something with at least 20% DEET. We also learned that if you coat your clothing with permethrin that is a great help. Also no perfume, scented personal hygene products, bright clothing or dark clothing. Mosquitoes like heat and damp and dark clothing attracts heat and sweat makes things damp. Light clothing is the best. Our hotel will have mosquito nets over our beds as will the tent we are staying in the time we go on safari. I was told to bring a small sewing kit to sew up any holes.
When in Uganda, we have to drink bottled water or boiled or sterilzed water. Don't eat raw vegetables or thin skinned fruits. I'm thinking I'll be losing some weight!

It's all very exciting! And now it's very much a reality because I'm not getting all these shots for nothing! Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment